Saturday, February 6, 2010

Better late than never Recipe of the week...And a little forgetfulness

Okay first things first. My marinara recipe. I don't have exact measurements once again so bare with me, and I don't have pictures, sorry I know it makes it more fun. Also I don't know the calories on this, but marinara sauce of any kind is very low in calories, usually...unless you add fatty meats and things. Anyway...
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 can Stewed Italian Style Tomatoes
1 packet spaghetti seasoning (look at the labels) get the least amount of sugar as possible. You don't even really need the packet, but if your culinary skills aren't that great than it's perfect for this. If you don't want to use the spaghetti seasoning packet, and you want to avoid sugar all together, then throw in a little basil, italian seasoning, a little oregano, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and/or minced garlic. It works like a charm. Don't be afraid of adding spices. It's actually quite fun to experiment. Start with a little, and you can add more as you go. And if you want to get really sneaky, puree some zuchinni or yellow squash, or both, and toss it in. You can't taste it at all, and the kids don't know they're eating vegies, great trick:)
For the packet people this is the rest of the ingredients. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and Italian Seasoning to taste. I always guess, you decide what tastes good.

  • Combine everything in a crockpot. You may need to add 2 tomato paste cans filled with water, if it's too thick, but if you like it thick then leave it the way it is. It just won't go as far. Set on low, and simmer all day. So so so easy. Double the recipe and put the left-overs in 1 cup containers and freeze. You can use it for last minute dinners (which happen at our house ALL the time) pizza, or dipping sauce for whole wheat bread sticks:) or whatever you can come up with.

I'll do homemade protein bars next. It involves real peanut butter, or almond butter, NO SUGAR!!! banana, granola, and protein powder. No cooking required, but if you want it more firm you roll it in wax paper and freeze it. I love it, and so do the kids actually. I'll work out the amounts of everything, and I'll have pictures to post so you can see it. Hopefully I can work out the calorie total as well:) But if you're feeling adventurous and want to experiment with the amounts GO FOR IT!!! It's really fun, and you learn your own tastes. Also I have some friends that make their own granola. I want to get their recipe because some granola can be riddled with sugar, and the unsweetened kind can get really expensive. So I'm working on that.

My next thing I wanted to talk about is forgetfulness! I am notorious for this. At first it was kind of funny, but lately things that I have every intention of doing, and actually WANT to do I am forgetting about. And it's not just things that don't matter. It's things that are very important! Even when I write them down or post them places I forget. The excuse "I forgot" sounds so LAME and pathetic. I can see the look on their faces "uh-huh, sure I believe you." So what is the deal?! Can it be fixed? What's wrong with me?! Do any of you suffer from this? Seriously I've gotta get a grip. Help...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty and very easy too!
    I don't know what to tell you about your memory. My phone remembers everything for me, and it has an alarm. I know there are things that would have forgotten if I hadn't set an alarm for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point...I need a cool phone:) That would probably help a TON!

    ReplyDelete