Saturday, June 26, 2010

Exercise, Food, and Nesting

I am in month 6 and it is cruising! I love the 2nd trimester. I'm not huge, I feel movement, I still sleep comfortably, and only occasionally need to get up to pee. And then there's the surge of energy. My workouts are a little harder to do, but not much. It's mostly the belly that gets in the way and makes some of the moves a little difficult, but I feel FANTASTIC! I still drink my Shakeology every day, and I eat pretty clean, with an occasional indulgence;) Honestly nothing sounds better than a big salad, or a huge bowl of fruit. Also is it just me, or are hamburgers just DELICIOUS, stacked with tons of lettuce, tomato, onion, and a pickle, with a side of home-baked sweet potato fries, and fresh sliced watermelon? YUUUUMMMM! It's on our menu at least once a week. And then there's the BBQ'd chicken. Kelcey cooked a ton of it the other day. We portioned it and threw it in the freezer. We since have used it for fajitas, grilled chicken salad, chicken quesadillas, etc. It makes dinner prep less than a half hour. So good too! We make our own Cafe Rio salads. We run there and grab 2 of the house dressings and then stack the vegies. The kids gobble it up:) I'm happy cuz they get good nutrition, they're satisfied, and it tastes WONDERFUL. It's a great trick. Eating healthy doesn't need to be boring people. Believe me...I love food, and who wants to eat bland boring crap? Add flavor using ingredients like fresh herbs, which we have planted in herb boxes on our deck;), garden tomatoes, lemon, vinegar, a little BBQ sauce goes a long way. You can use ranch, but just go easy on the the portion. For example, 2 Tbs. of ranch goes a long way if you toss it with a salad. I don't know about you, but I like to taste my vegies. Go for the reduced fat kind cuz it tastes the same. The fat free is disgusting, but that's just my opinion. There's lots of tricks that make food taste awesome, but also cut the fat and calories. Just experiment. Most of the time I take recipes that were part of our old diet, and just see where I can tweak it to make it more healthy. It never tastes any different either, just has less fat, calories, and preservatives. I use fresh stuff instead of canned, or buy freezer vegies. They sometimes have more nutrients than fresh vegies at the store because they freeze dry them at their peak, which means they hold in the nutrients as if they were picked from your garden. Plus, they're fast, and make meal prep easy. When they go on sale I stock up. The other day they were on sale for 58 cents a bag at Ream's. That is a great deal, add a coupon, and you can almost get them free:). Anyway...

Another perk of the 2nd trimester...nesting! I've got it bad this time around. Almost every closet has been cleaned out, which is saying a lot. The clutter had me going out of my mind. Not to mention the kids need to be rotated so we had to figure out how to make the small space work. Kody slept on a big boy bed, and did great. I like to start them early so they don't feel like they're being replaced once the baby comes. Both the kids rooms look awesome. I'm still working on Kody and Tanner's, but I'm pleased with the results so far. Keira and the baby will share. She's got a princess bed, a small pink dresser, and a princess lamp. The other side of the room will be all boy...baseball everything. I plan on painting some baseball pics and have them framed. The dresser has moved into the closet, and we took down the sliding closet doors and will put up a curtain instead. It has to be generic, but match both sides of the room. I'm still working on that. I'm just so grateful everything has a place. For a while nothing was organized and was just tossed in the closets all willy nilly. It's hard working with small spaces, but we've worked it out. When I'm done I'll post some pics.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're in the happy middle with your pregnancy. I never got that with Brigham.
    Cleaning out the clutter sure feels good. Good work!

    ReplyDelete