Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Just Bouncing Around Some Thoughts

Life is busy to say the least. I am steadily getting bigger, and have noticed that trudging up the stairs has me winded. You would think I hadn't exercised for quite some time, but if you know me, you know that is not even close to the truth. It is, however, very frustrating. I hate feeling weak at any capacity. I am not okay with this, but I don't think I have a choice in the matter. I think it only gets worse? That shouldn't even be a question since this is baby #4, but every pregnancy has me wondering, is this normal, is that normal, etc.?

My central air is WONDERFUL! I am sooo glad we did it. Every time I walk in the house and feel the non-moistness, but cooling refreshment I am so happy. Definitely a good call on our part:) With that said, though, my house is feeling smaller and smaller. With 3 boys and 1 girl who will share what rooms? I feel like the clutter will overtake me at any moment. I am storing baby clothes, and toddler clothes (for both boys and girls), and toys, and bedding, coats, and shoes, and miscellaneous items I feel like I should keep, but that we never touch! Not to mention when I decide to take on a project, and throw stuff out, I move in slow motion. And then I feel I need a break after 30 minutes, and then I never get back to it.

I am a hopeless case I'm afraid. Perhaps it is adult A.D.D. In any case I feel like I can't focus on any one thing for too long. Kelcey says, "take one thing to focus on and become a master of it." That is very practical and good advice, but when you have more than one thing calling for your attention, how does one focus long enough to become a master? I'm not so sure I have what it takes. I love the idea of a new adventure or idea. I get excited about ALL the things I could do, then when I get involved I suddenly realize it takes a whole lot more effort than I had anticipated in my mind. And then once again my focus is dragged elsewhere...it's an endless cycle. So this whole "mastery" thing has me stumped. I wonder how people do it honestly.

Take my husband for example. He is good at anything he does, and is definitely not afraid of hard work. He could work all day, be exhausted, and because I asked him to mow the lawn, he'll do it! No complaining. He'll give me a wink and off he goes. Right now he's working on finishing his Master's Degree. The man has a mind that can focus on one thing get her done, and then move on to the next, get that done, and the next, and so on, and he does it superbly well I might add. He's a straight A student. What is up with that?! How do you have a mind like that? I'd like one:)

We were talking about super powers the other day when Jim, my brother, and his family came up for Memorial Day weekend. Jim asked me if there was one thing in sports that I could be phenomenal at, I would keep all other abilities I had, but I could pick one thing that would be my super power talent in sports, what would it be? Pretty loaded question, so I picked jumping. I would be able to jump high, long, whatever. I asked Kelcey, my husband, that same question because he wasn't there when we talked about this. Without missing a step he says, his mental game. The reason? Success in athletics is 10% ability, 90% mental. He is sooo dead on too! I was suddenly wishing I had said that. If my mental game were perfect everything else would fall into place. And that is why he's a coach. A GREAT one I might add. If only those kids realized what they had....they have no idea...It's also why he'll be a GREAT administrator too.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to turn into an Ode To My Husband, but when I find a quality that is admirable I want to find out how to get it. How do I perfect my mental game? All super powers aside, I would just like a smidgin of mental toughness, just so I can focus longer than a kindergartener. I know you're all thinking it's pregnancy, but it's something I struggle with pregnant or no pregnant. Pregnancy just has a tendency to magnify what's already a challenge in my life.

I'm not really sure why my thoughts went in that direction, but there you go. Oi...maybe I share too much, and maybe not, but you get whatcha get when it comes to me. Random, random, random.

2 comments:

  1. The mental game helps in no matter what you do. Pure mental will to "Win" is what makes the greats Great! With that said it's really not an "athletic"attribute i was looking for. Good answer though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lyenna!

    I'm totally with you on the slow motion, can't focus on one project - but just for the record I know you know how to focus - You are the most focused person I know when it comes to exercising.

    Sounds like our husbands both have the focus and mastery gift. Not to discredit them, but it's a heck of a lot harder to focus and master a project when you have kids interrupting that project every 10 seconds. I don't think any man appreciates that - unless maybe he's a stay at home dad. But seriously - we have to be doing three million things all at once just to take care of our kids and homes, so how in the heck can we be expected to focus on just one out of three million??? Let me know if you figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete