Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why I do what I do

I get questions all the time about why I push so hard, why I like to exercise so much, why I "deprive" myself of living and enjoying life (because eating unhealthy food, and sitting on the couch is "living" and "enjoying" life, I guess), why I have such lofty goals, why those goals are so important to me, what do I really want anyway? The list of questions goes on and on. It's funny really because I am a highly competitive person. This includes being competitive with myself. So to me, the answer should be obvious, right? Well for those who still have questions here's why.

Some of you may have heard of a man named Jack LaLanne. He's an American Icon for health and fitness and an inspiration to me, most people know him as the "juicer guy" but he's so much more than that. He just recently had a birthday on Saturday, September 26. He is now 95 years old and hasn't slowed down a bit:) This blog shares a few of his accomplishments. So why do I mention this man...well here's a little quote on why Jack trains the way he does which expresses almost exactly how I feel about it. "I train like I'm training for the Olympics or for a Mr. America contest, the way I've always trained my whole life. You see, life is a battlefield. Life is survival of the fittest. How many healthy people do you know? How many happy people do you know? Think about it. People work at dying, they don't work at living. My workout is my obligation to life. It's my tranquilizer. It's part of the way I tell the truth--and telling the truth is what's kept me going all these years." I want to reiterate that this man is 95 years old and shows no signs of slowing down.

So why do I do what I do?! To live my best life. It's simple really. I am in competition with myself, and frankly I like to sweat and burn. I like the sweat dripping off my face, and I LOVE feeling my muscles scream for relief. I know it sounds incredibly strange, but I truly love the way I feel after. After a hard workout I always feel...fit. And like most of the women I workout with know, I can come in pretty grumpy and leave completely happy. Exercise makes me happy. Because an angry Lyenna is not a fun person to be with:)

I am not nearly as disciplined as Jack Lalanne, but I'd like to be. I often wonder where people, like Jack, get their will-power because what I've found is it boils down to what goes on in my head. I've gotten a lot better, but it's taken a lot of practice. I don't think practicing ever stops though.

Always be better than you were the day before. Those are the words I live by.

8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine my life without exercise and activity...how boring would that be? You're a great motivator! By the way, I love your new profile picture...super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend graduated in exercise science and made me watch an episode featuring Jack. Let me just say WOW! I can't believe people ask you why so much. It's obvious why... for so many different reasons. My questions are always HOW. I didn't grow up being totally active and have a hard time finding the willpower to continue to making exercise a habit. My motto is "Someday..." BUT the more I read your blog and others, the more it is in my head so maybe it will happen! Your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I have been known to be a person who sits and watches tv, not all day, but more than I should! Someday I would like to LOVE to exercise. I just need to figure out how! Thanks for all your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is one of my favorites! Thanks for being a motivating voice in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE AWESOME!! I loved what he said about people aren't living, they are dying....or something along those lines. I am finally getting back the old me that used to love to work out and feel strong and be healthy. Its taken me 10 years but I want that me again. I liked who I was, but I believe we all have our stages and seasons. My kids are getting older and don't demand so much of me as they used to so now I have a little more time for me. It has been hard to say that its ok to take me time...I have guilt issues.
    But you are truly inspiring to me. Keep it up. If its what makes you happy, thats what matters. I have to remember that I am important too, not just my children and my hubby. Its ok to think about yourself a little every day. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, I'm interested in knowing about your eating...diet or whatever you call it. I have these last 12 lbs I want to lose and they are not letting go of me!!!! Any advice?

    ReplyDelete